History of Hamilton Law Association
For a full history of the Hamilton Law Association, please click HERE
The Hamilton Law Association (HLA) has a long tradition of supporting the legal profession in Hamilton. Upon its inception in 1879, the purpose of the HLA was “the formation and support of a Law Library for the use of its members, to be kept and maintained in the Court House, in the City of Hamilton, and to promote the general interests of the profession, and good feeling and harmony among its members.”
It began with 60 members and a Board of Trustees. At that time, each member was required to pay a fee of $5.00. New members were admitted by ballot and were proposed by two members in writing at least two weeks before the ballot was taken.
The first president of the HLA was Emilius Irving. He went on to have an illustrious career as the longest-serving treasurer of the Law Society of Upper Canada, becoming a Member of Parliament, and being knighted in 1906.
The purpose of the HLA has changed over the years, but the current purpose still echoes some of the original goals of the founding members – “to strive to enable its members to become successful, respected and fulfilled in their profession.”
Source: Cole, Anne-Louise, "Memory Archive Update,' HLA Journal, Vol. 25, Issue 4 August 2015