Ross & McBride LLP is Hamilton’s largest law firm with a rich history of commitment to our clients and our community. We are currently looking to hire a full-time Payroll/Accounts Receivable Clerk.
Payroll & Accounts Receivable Clerk
Law Firm – Hamilton, ON
Value and Profile:
Reporting to the Director of Finance and working as part of the Finance team, this position plays a key role by preparing payrolls, maintaining accurate payroll records and responding to payroll requests and inquiries; as well as, accounts receivable management and group benefits administration. Other duties will be assigned as required.
Performs a variety of involved duties necessary for the accurate preparation of payrolls, including:
• Process semi-monthly payroll for approximately 110 employees using ADP Workforce to deliver payroll data in a timely manner
• Issues ROEs, T4s etc.
• Calculation of statutory and voluntary deductions; vacation and sick time; insurance and other deductions
• Processes changes for current pay period
• Calculates time worked for hourly and/or special arrangements for employees
• Identifies pay anomalies and obtains resolution from appropriate person
• Manages employee changes, terminations and remittances to relevant programs associated with payroll and group benefits administration
• Reconciles payroll to ensure payroll accounts balance
• Communicates with employees with regards to individual salary and deduction considerations, co-ordinates the administration of group health benefits plan for all employees as it relates to payroll, as well as related inquiries
• Escalates non-routine inquiries to senior staff or Director of Finance
• Creates regular and ad hoc reports as required; completes all applicable compliance reports
• Provides support and back up to more experienced personnel in calculation of special payments or preparation of reports
• Any other duties as required/assigned
Accounts receivable processing, including generating AR list for review and:
a) Working with lawyers, paralegals and clients to resolve outstanding, dispute or duplicate payments.
b) Working with lawyers, paralegals, finance team and clients to investigate payments with insufficient details to be posted.
• Handle invoicing discrepancies via telephone and email and report root causes
• Obtaining credit card information and processing credit card payments
• Perform account reconciliations as required
• Manage doubtful accounts and obtain approvals
• Support month-end and year-end activities as required.
• Any other duties as required/assigned within the Finance & Accounting environment
The successful candidate ideally has two years of related experience preferably in a law firm or professional services environment;
Ability to communicate effectively and confidently with other Firm members, with the aptitude to take care of clients’ needs in a professional and courteous manner while maintaining strict confidentiality;;
Knowledge of payroll software;
Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite with intermediate knowledge of Excel an asset;
Knowledge of ADP WFN experience an asset as would knowledge of group benefits administration;
Post-Secondary diploma or greater in Accounting, Administration or Business an asset;
Working towards Canadian Payroll Certification an asset.
To be a best fit for this position you need:
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills ;
• Dedication to meet deadlines in a timely manner ;
• Very good sense of autonomy ;
• Excellent sense of organization, rigor and attention to details.