AUGUST 10 | Small Claims Court is Further Expanding its Remote Hearings
Aug 11, 2020
The Small Claims Court is further expanding its remote hearings in order to continue to provide access to justice.
As of August 10, 2020, the Court will begin scheduling select remote settlement conferences that are requested by one party to an action and meet the criteria set out below.
This expansion will be staggered over time, applying first to settlement conferences that were scheduled to take place between March 16 and March 31, 2020 and cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The criteria for scheduling are:
- The requesting party provides a valid and current email address for the non-requesting party or parties;
- Each party can send and receive emails using the email addresses provided;
- Each defendant has filed a defence or has been noted in default in the action prior to March 16, 2020;
- All parties agree to rely solely on the pleadings as filed and served;
- A settlement conference had previously been scheduled and then suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic; and
- The settlement conference was previously scheduled to take place within the date range to be specified in the Notice Regarding the Suspension of Small Claims Court Operations (this date range will initially be March 16-31, 2020).
The Court intends to expand to other previously scheduled settlement conferences in the near future, once capacity allows.
Further details will appear on the Superior Court of Justice website.