2019 Civil Sittings and Long Civil Trials
The Sittings for 2019 are as follows:
- February 11, 2019 – speak to February 4, 2019 @ 10
- May 21, 2019 – speak to May 13, 2019 @ 10
- September 9, 2019 – speak to August 26, 2019 @ 10
- November 18, 2019 – speak to November 4, 2019 @ 10
Note: Counsel are required to attend speak to court unless a **Consent for Trial Readiness Form is completed and signed by all parties.
- March 18, 2019 - 3 weeks
- October 15, 2019 - 3 weeks
Superior Court of Justice
Central South Region Forms:
Note: Counsel are required to attend speak to court unless a **Consent for Speak to Form** is completed and signed by all parties
Note: Forms 1A and 2A are no longer required as pre-trials are mandatory in all matters.
Beginning January 14, 2019, POA Online Services will be expanded in the City of Hamilton to include the addition of online requests for an Early Resolution Meeting by visiting the online system.
Defendants and/or their agents will be mailed a notice of the date, time and location of the early resolution meeting.
For more information, visit POA Online Services or contact the local office at email@example.com or 905-540-5592.
Please be advised amendments have been made to the Consolidated Provincial Practice Direction, the Consolidated Practice Direction for Divisional Court Proceedings, and the Consolidated Practice Direction for Civil Actions, Applications, Motions and Procedural Matters in the Toronto Region.
Below is a summary of the amendments taking effect on Friday, December 7, 2018. Please refer to the Superior Court of Justice website for exact wording and details: http://www.ontariocourts.ca/sci/practice/nractice-directions/
Consolidated Provincial Practice Direction
- Masters are to be addressed as "Your Honour" in English and "Votre Honneur" in French.
- The procedure for Rule 13.1.02 motions (to transfer civil proceedings) is to apply in all SCJ regions. (See paragraphs 48 through 51 of the practice direction for the procedure.)
Consolidated Practice Direction for Divisional Court Proceedings
New requirements for motions for leave to appeal to the Divisional Court:
- In the materials filed with the Court, parties should refer to themselves as "the moving party" or "the responding party"
- Both the moving party's and responding party's motion records must include costs submissions respecting the motion for leave to appeal, unless doing so would disclose an offer to settle.
- Costs submissions should include the proposed quantum of costs (win or lose) and a costs outline (Form 57B).
Consolidated Practice Direction for Civil Actions, Applications, Motions and Procedural Matters in the Toronto Region
- Short motions and applications can no longer be booked by telephone. They can only be booked by email or in person.
The civil claims online filing service (Ontario.ca/civilclaims) has been enhanced in response to feedback from legal associations and users.
This enhancement follows the spring 2018 expansion of the service, which enabled some defence documents and proof of service for documents to be filed online. For a current list of documents that can be filed online, please visit Ontario.ca/civilclaims.
Improving the user experience
As of November 26, 2018, users are able to:
- preview uploaded documents prior to submission;
- search online transactions by the case name;
- save the confirmation screen page;
- record parties’ contact information more quickly by reducing the data entry required; and
- input six-digit phone extensions.
Additional enhancements include:
- the relocation of the Save plaintiff/defendant buttons to facilitate navigation; and
- the automatic addition of plaintiff and defendant email addresses from the initial online submission into the court’s case management system.
Share your feedback
The ministry will continue to enhance the service based on user feedback. I invite you to share this update and encourage your members to provide their feedback by completing the Rate Our Service survey on the portal or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director, Operational Support Branch
Court Services Division